Quote from D. Gackenbach

Friday, January 20, 2012

F!@#* Cancer

I have some really great friends.  I am truly blessed in this department.  It took me a long time to cultivate these friendships and sadly these days most of them are long distance.  I still make an effort to remain in contact on a regular basis because friendships take time and commitment, just like a marriage, or a family.  I need these people and these people need me.  Thank goodness for the telephone and the internet!

Because I value friends very highly I am picky about who I give my time and energy to.  I believe I have chosen some of the most wonderful people on this planet to be friends with.  I hope to make new friends in this lifetime, but they will be in addition to the friends I have, not instead of...  I plan to keep these friends until, well, until forever!  Which is why the health and well being of my close friends is really important to me.  That being said, the sole goal of this post is to let you know that one of my best friends has cancer and no way to pay for the quality treatment she needs and deserves, but you can help.

I met Janice in grad school.  She had just picked up her entire life, career, husband, children, everything and moved from Minneapolis to Northern California.  I was in awe of her bravery.  We were taking an Art History seminar together.  There must have been good relationship vibes in the room, we became friends and two other attendees started dating and later married  I am so glad I took that course, the reading was a bear, but my new friend was worth it.

Janice is an exceptional woman.  She is talented, creative, intelligent, funny, and so generous, she is the kind of person that I strive to be.  She is an artist, an illustrator of beautiful children's books, and a teacher.  Her three sons are some of the sweetest, smartest, most wonderful young men I have ever met, and that means she is an excellent mother.  I struggle to take my cues from her as I raise my own little boy.  I could go on, but you get the picture, she is rad, and I love her.

Cancer treatment is expensive and Janice could use a little monetary help right now.  If you can help please follow this link: for janice and give whatever you can.  Thank you for reading this, thankyou even if you can't help, but thank you more if you can.  Now go hug a friend, or call a friend, or text a friend, or whatever you do to stay in touch, because life is short and friends need each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment