Quote from D. Gackenbach

Monday, March 26, 2012

Welcoming the Sun

The sun graced us with it's mighty presence this weekend, so lovely.  I actually got out into my yard and dug the first of two new garden beds.  We are using the lumber from raised beds that were already here when we moved in, but we needed to relocate them to get better sun exposure.  This first bed is a little four foot square.  It holds the promise of garlic, sugar snap peas, lettuce, onions, and strawberries.



















In preparation for the next bed, which will be twice this size, I purchased a variety of new seeds.  I decided to go with a purple theme for the produce in this bed.  I picked out lettuces, cabbage, carrots, onions, tomatoes, beans, and peppers, all with a purple hue.


I started the tomato and pepper seeds in a mini greenhouse, along with some sunflower seeds for another part of the yard.  The sunflowers need a little help here or they get eaten the second they hit the ground, possibly cutworms, but I think the snails and slugs may be the true culprits.


















Now we watch and wait, oh yeah, and water, but only a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment