Quote from D. Gackenbach

Monday, February 20, 2012

Everchanging Obsession

I am obsessed, often.  I have a habit of getting deeply-temporarily involved with ideas, projects, plans, what-have-you.  It could be a good thing.  The ability to get on something and ride it, really dig in until it is done, is a good thing, right?  Then you can just move on.  This trait was never a problem in school or during my time as a professor, in fact it was an asset.  Getting to the bottom of things, mastering a new skill, getting through to the end of the semester.  These were the goals, and I achieved them.  But in "real" life I am not sure my approach is valid.

Is it a good idea to become crazy about one thing at the expense of others?  For a brief burning moment I have a sense of clear purpose and I relish the clarity, but then it is over and I am left feeling like nothing really matters.  Actually, that song gets stuck in my head all the time: Nothing really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matters, nothing really matters, to me... 

I guess this feeling is inspiration coming and going, but I have to admit it seems a little whacky at times.  I made eight granny square purses last week, eight.  And, technically, they aren't done.  I still need to weave in the ends and sew in linings.  But they feels done in my head, so I started a new sweater last night.  The new sweater is what got me thinking about this obsession issue.

My February Sweater is on hiatus, I need to find buttons for it, and buy some yarn to make another sample, but until I do I am putting off writing up the pattern (for no logical reason).  Since I have this little "break" from the sweater I decided to use up some of the waste yarn from January making handmade gifts for a Facebook based gift exchange I am participating in.  Seemed innocent, until I was eight bags in and totally distracted from the sweater pattern that I should be writing. 

Oh well, inspiration is good and I will take it when I can get it.  I would rather wear myself out with a constantly changing set of priorities than sit around waiting for something to inspire me.  With that being said, the March Sweater is on the needles, and you should all pray for February, it may not survive my mercurial moods.

No comments:

Post a Comment